Saturday, March 22, 2014

Filet Crochet: Floral Table Runner


This beautiful floral filet crochet chart is my current project. I'm really excited about it.
I found this lovely while cruising through Pinterest (I swear I spend WAY too much time there) and fell in love. While the chart is very simple looking, I can imagine the finish product in my head. It is stunning!

The chart is a website in Russian or some other Slavic language, so I do not have much else to go on. It's okay though. I know I am totally up for this challenge!

I'm using natural crochet cotton and my trusty steel hook size US 3/2.1mm. As with any filet crochet project, I started with the bottom row. Since the site did not have any instructions to get me started, I did a little trial and error in starting out. First I did what any smart lady would do, I googled "filet crochet starting chain."  It returned many articles from "About.com," so I settled on their article How to Figure the Starting (Foundation) Chain for Filet Crochet, which sounded very promising. I'm not sure if the issue was with me or the instructions, but it did not work out. If you can figure out their instructions and get it to work please let me know.

For those that don't want to go through the trouble, you can learn from my mistake. After many starting attempts this is what I ended up doing to get a good foundation: Chain 65 stitches and double stitch in the 8th chain from the end, which means count 8 stitches backwards from the 65 stitch. When I am about half-way done or so, I'll post some pictures showing my progress.

You will need to know how to increase stitches, which sounds a bit intimidating for beginners. It's not that hard. I'm a visual learner, so I found this quick little demonstration video. After watching this a couple of times, I was off the lounger to crochet away. Later in the project I'll have to learn the lacet stitch.  Once I make it through that part of the challenge I'll post my lessons learned.

So who is with me on crocheting this beautiful table runner? If, you're coming along for ride I would love to see pictures of what you've done. Happy hookin' and stitchin'.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment