Saturday, June 7, 2014

Giant Granny Square

 Over the past month I've been working on my continuous granny square blanket, also known as the giant granny square. It's my calming, mindless crochet project that keeps my hands busy without having to pay much attention to a pattern. Yes, it is only one color. I did that on purpose. I hate weaving ends in. As mentioned in my previous post, my allergy medicine has been making me too drowsy to work on the intricate details of my other project. 


The blanket is about six feet long, so it's a decent size. As my K-9 fur baby (also known as my furry assistant) demonstrates in the pictures, it is nice and cozy. Since I am somebody that gets cold if the temperature is below 75 degrees Fahrenheit, this blanket will come in handy for cuddling up on the couch. I love cuddling up with my pretty girl.

I have a feline fur baby that tried to claim this prize but lost out to his K-9 sister. She loves the crochet!

Continuous granny square blanket that my
lovely assistant is demonstrating.
 I used about three huge skeins of Red Hearts Soft Navy Blue medium worsted yarn.The skeins were about the size of those one pounder skeins you see in craft shops. I also used an I crochet hook (5.50 mm).  This is only phase one of the blanket. I thought the solid blue color would make a beautiful background for the snowflakes for a winter themed blanket.

For phase II, I plan to make a bunch of different snowflakes in medium worsted white yarn to stitch to the blanket for a snowfall effect. I have a good bit of scrap white yarn in my stash, so this will be a great way to use that up. Currently I'm searching for crochet snowflake patterns. I've been pinning ones I found so far to my winter project Pinterest board (see bottom of post). I already modified a couple of snowflake patterns, which will be presented in a future post once I finalize it.

If you know of some good snowflake patterns that might look good in a homemade, crochet blizzard, drop a link in the comments.

Also, if you have a continuous granny square blanket project you want to share drop a link in the comments. I would love to check it out!


In the mean while, happy hookin' and stitchin' my lovely hookers!

Follow Hookin' and Stitchin''s board Christmas and Winter Projects on Pinterest.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment