Sunday, August 3, 2014

Victorian style heirloom filet crochet project

From the 1890 The Royal Crochet Worker, No.1.
I have been on a filet crochet kick lately. With the completion of my latest major project (to be featured in an upcoming post!), I'm in the market for a new one. Through my online searches I noticed that Victorian style heirloom filet crochet is starting to become very popular, especially framed ones. The end results are a stunning, beautiful design using a combination of double crochet and chain stitches.

Since I'm looking at starting a new filet project, I thought I would give a Victorian style heirloom bread cloth a try. It certainly would make for a much loved Christmas present this year. Here is what I'm looking at.
March 1867 Bread Cloth from Duck Mini Farm

There is a stunning "bread" piece from the 1890 The Royal Crochet Worker, No.1. available on the Antique Pattern Library. If you're into old time crochet patterns that are free, you should check out their collection. The chart is not all that great, but it is still easy to follow.

Over on Duck Mini Farm's webpage, there is a chart and instructions for a 1867 version, which has a simpler, classic design. The chart has a cleaner look so it is easier on the eyes when following along the lines. It also has a companion butter cloth to go with it.

I'm going to give both of them a try. Of course I'll present them in future posts so you know how well (or frustrating) they go. Do you know of a similar pattern you could share? If so, please let me know in the comments.

Happy hookin' and stitchin' everybody!

2 comments:

  1. While I'm not new to crochet, I've never tried filet. Thanks for sharing the patterns as I may try my hand at it!
    Happy hooking,
    Mary aka yayamama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to hear that I may have inspired you to give filet crochet a try. It really creates a beautiful piece using primarily a combination of double crochet and chain stitch. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete