Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Simple Crochet Dishcloth

Hookin and stitchin

My aloe vera looks happy with its new
little crochet cloth.
Lately I have been cranking out these little lovely crochet dishclothes. They are so simple and elegant. They make lovely gifts and you can easily whip one out in a manner of hours. I think I could easily make three to five of these in one day with plenty of time to do the neglected house chores. The patterns fairly easy and a great way for beginners to practice some basic stitches and work on their tension.

I must confess that I do not really use them for washing my dirty dishes, but they could be used for that if you wish. I keep a couple in my master bathroom to clean my sensitive skin. Most of crochet dishclothes are used as little place mats under my plants. They protect the window sill and table from getting that nasty water damage ring from the bottom of the plant pot. I love plants, but hate the ring. So far I have made about ten of these dishclothes for my plants. I know, I have a lot of plants, but the matching mats give my house a very coordinated, sophisticated look. If you decorate your home with a certain color scheme than you can use any color of cotton you want. I opted for plain white for a refined elegance, or at least I like to think that.

The clothes protect my window sills from any water damage ring from my beautiful plants.
Materials:
G hook
4-ply worsted medium 100% cotton

Abbreviations:
hdc - half double crochet
sc - single crochet
slst - slip stitch

Notes:
Pattern uses US terms.

Directions:
Chain 31
1st row: hdc in second chain from hook, slst in next chain, *hdc in next chain, sl st in next one*, repeat from * to *, chain one and turn (15 hdc, 15 slst, total: 30 stitches)
2nd row: *sc in slst, sc in hdc *, repeat from * to *, chain one and turn (30 sc)
3rd row: *hdc in stitch, sl st in next stitch *, repeat from * to * (15 hdc, 15 slst, total: 30 stitches)

Repeat row 2 and then row 3. Keep alternating between these two rows until you have 19 completed rows.

Border is a sc around the entire piece with 2 sc in same stitch at the corners.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jess,
    Boy, do we have things in common. I so enjoy making the cotton dishcloths. I have a big tub full right now. Was going to sell them at a Christmas bazaar but never made it. Ha! One would think that would stop me....nope, I keep making more. They do make lovely gifts, as you mentioned. I also like them for cleaning the bathrooms, but my friends swipe them because they use them as washcloths. I have tubs and tubs full of cotton and was making 4 cloths in each color of cotton I have. Still have a l-o-n-g ways to go before I use up all the colors in my stash. Notice I said, '''color''' -- not all the yarn -- I really do have huge tubs full of cotton (so glad too, now that I see the price has gone back up on the cotton).
    I also use this same exact pattern for my cloths!
    Have A Happy Day - Bobbie

    ReplyDelete

Banner

LinkWithin

Related content